Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Week 3, Proposal

During this semester I would like to focus on the concept of dreams. In the more recent years I have been experiencing vivid dreams nearly every night, sometimes they are enjoyable and other times they are terrifying. I feel very connected to the experience of dreaming because it is a direct expression of my subconscious, and the dreams are usually very personal and intuitive. Dreams, for me, can be extremely realistic and emotional, they can be good and bad, as well as full of important metaphors. I would like to explore themes of repressed desire, as well as symbolism and reoccurring themes that exist within my own dreams. I also would like to capture the intense emotion that I sometimes experience, whether it be intense anxiety and fear or peacefulness. I'm hoping to tap into my own subconscious and try to better understand why I have become a portal for epic dreams.

5 comments:

  1. I think this could be a great proposal especially with the amount of imagery that is produced through dreams. There is a lot of materials out there to help explain the dreams, so you have options as to different areas you can produce work from. Maybe for each dream you could produce a certain illustration style that corresponds with the underlying message of the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to convey dreams that you have had personally is an interesting topic to cover. The content you produce will be determined entirely by the dreams you have and the metaphors you create. Try taking key aspects from these dreams, and think of symbols, icons, and drawing techniques (if you still want to work with hand drawn materials) that can convey your dreams clearly and concisely. It's very easy to make work about dreams entirely unintelligible. What specific emotions and psychological symbolism do you want to express?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely recommend that you (if you aren't already doing so) keep a journal and a pen by your bed so you can write immediately what you dreamt of and go ahead and record what you recall from previous dreams. Dreams can be fascinating and tricky. Always draw what you can't explain and be as visually descriptive as possible. Since you're also concentrating on the emotion of the dream, definitely jot down emotional cues so you can remember how you felt specifically. Sometimes in dreams, the emotion felt is not the obvious one by just going back and reading the plot. Recurring dreams will definitely be an interesting topic on the basis that it usually has an extreme message to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Focusing on dreams for a class like dynamic imaging seems seems very appropriate because it allows you to revive these vivid dreams that would otherwise disappear in the morning when you wake up. So many times I've replayed dreams over in my head wishing that I could somehow animate it to some one else. This way you can accomplish that. I think it would be wise to include fantastical imagery so your work emits a dream-like feel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this proposal could make for some very interesting and visually fascinating videos. I think one think you should focus on when creating this is the atmosphere of the dream. You said that one part you wanted to focus on was the emotional aspect of the dream, and portraying the atmosphere correctly is a great and very effective way to convey the mood.

    ReplyDelete